Skip to content
Tuesday, August 18, 2026 | LIVE TV
LIVE TV

Trump threatens Oman as it works with Iran on Strait of Hormuz deal

Temp User
2 min read
Listen to News
Click play to hear this story

US President Donald Trump has again threatened Oman as Iran says it is working with the Gulf Arab country on a plan to manage shipping through the Strait of Hormuz.

Meanwhile, the 60-day negotiating period to find a peace deal between the US and Iran is expiring, with no word of an extension and both sides seemingly as far apart as they were at the start.

Iran said it has reached an agreement with Oman over a plan for ships to transit the Strait of Hormuz, which runs between the two countries, and they are now working to finalise details for a joint statement.

Iran foreign ministry spokesperson Esmail Baghaei told reporters in Tehran that "an understanding has been reached regarding the map of the transit route." 
He did not elaborate, but details that have previously emerged suggest the deal would reopen the strait with ships entering through a route close to Iran and exiting through a route close to Oman. Ships would transit without paying fees or tolls during an interim period.

The US has sought an acceptable deal on opening the strait before ending its blockade of Iranian ports.

Iran effectively closed the strait — through which roughly one-fifth of the world's traded oil supplies passed before the war — after Israel and the US attacked the country on Feb 28.

Trump told Fox News reporter Trey Yingst that the US would bomb Oman if it "gets in the way", using an expletive for emphasis.

Fox News did not provide audio of the interview.

Source: Business Standard

Related Stories

Stay Informed. Subscribe Now.

Get breaking news and top stories delivered straight to your inbox. No spam, unsubscribe anytime.